Monday, May 30, 2011

Bobbi Angell's Garden






I visited my friend Bobbi Angell's garden in Marlboro, Vermont this weekend. She is a highly accomplished botanical illustrator and I met her when she took an etching class at my studio Twin Vixen Press. For many years she published a weekly drawing in the New York Times and has illustrated many books, including Our life in Gardens. She is also a keen gardener and plants woman and I had a great time rambling through her garden, admiring all of her wonderful plants.



The house sits on top of a hill with a wonderful view, but it is rather steep. Luckily her partner Jim has all the equipment and know how to build fabulous rock terraces for her.



Cypripedium calceolus

The Orchids are all abloom these days. Today I found a large patch of our native and extremely rare Lady's Slipper (blog post sure to follow!) Exciting times!


Veronica gentianoides


Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris

The climbing hydrangea has been planted all around the natural spring fed stream that runs through the gardens. What a lovely use of this plant!



Akebia quinata

Somehow I missed the fact that the Akebia has different male and female flowers. I think I noticed a difference, but never put it all together. How incredible!




And she had blooming Wisteria!

No comments:

Post a Comment