Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Real Woodland Garden




Viburnum lantanoides

My friend from Maine and I were walking in the woods a few years back and we approached a beautiful scene and he says, "Ah, Nature, the perfect gardener." I am pretty sure he was mocking me! But I always think of that when I am walking in the woods and everything is just right and we humans could not have planned it better. So on this very rainy day, I went into a favorite woodland and got blissfully drenched trying to capture the perfect photograph.


It is a very wet area and the moss grows a foot deep.


Trillium undulatum


Amelanchier laevis

These small trees are seen flowering all over the woods now, but down in the dank, cool bog the flowers are reaching for a little more sunshine before opening.



Goldthread (Coptis trifolia)

So called Goldthread because its tiny, intricate roots look just like gold.


Trailing arbutus (Epigaea repens)

As my neighbor Gail tells me, when this plant comes into flower there is NO chance winter is coming back. We all hope she is right. The flowers are just going by now, but their sweet scent is still lingering.

No comments:

Post a Comment