Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Butterflies in the Garden


I am in Maine now and I stopped by my friends garden. She was not home but I communed with her flowers in the early evening light.  And then I saw a pair of hummingbirds flying around drinking deeply from the Monarda flowers. These particular hummingbirds had iridescent green bellies with a small red dot on their breasts. One of the birds landed on the fat fuzzy head of a giant Millet flower. His wings stopped fluttering and the little hummingbird was perfectly still, the flower bent under the weight of the bird and they both bobbed in the wind. I stood very close and still and the two of us looked at each other for minutes. I wanted my camera then, but I think the moment might have been ruined by the act of trying to capture it. Here are some photos of various butterflies taken recently at the Berg's garden. If you know which ones they are please tell me! 

Monarch on Asclepias incarnata

No comments:

Post a Comment