Friday, September 16, 2011

Anemone Times!


When I started this blog I had to come up with a name. At the time I had NO idea there was a garden blogging world out there and so I tried a LOT of names with the word garden/gardener in the title, which of course were all taken. I thought of a favorite flower and combined it with the word Times, like a newspaper. (As a side note, the British newspaper The Times is the original "Times" and many newspapers since have borrowed the name.) It seems fitting that I named my blog Anemone Times to record my English gardening experience. This post is an ode to some of my favorite fall blooming Anemones.

Above is the renown Anemone tomentosa 'Robustissima,' a wild, leggy, vigorous thing that holds court in many great gardens.



Anemone x hybrida 'Honorine Jobert' 

This one might be the all time favorite. I initially bought this plant for a client and when I planted it a small root fell off which I took home and nursed in a pot for six months and then transplanted into my garden. My client's plant did not last the winter, but mine did. Each summer I bring her another beautiful piece of her original plant.  The tiny root piece has expanded into a very large stand and I constantly hack off pieces for my gardening friends. Here in my garden it stands with the full force of all those beautiful buds waiting to open.



Anemone hupehensis 'September Charm'

In my garden this one has striking lime green foliage, but I have not found other records of this? Below you can see it standing dramatically out against the Heuchera and other deeper greens. This one is a real charmer.



 Anemone hupehensis 'Pamina'


Anemone hupehensis 'Crispa'

Still in its first year, this one has one bud but it has not yet bloomed. The cultivar is named after its foliage, meaning 'finely waved; closely curled,' and it is clearly the reason to grow this plant.  The leaves are stiff and crinkly with bronze edging, resembling a leaf of lettuce.

1 comment:

  1. Anemone heaven! ‘Robustissima’ is so beautiful. I clearly recall you banging on about the joys of ‘Honorine Jobert’!

    ReplyDelete