Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Gomphocarpus physocarpus


 

I thought that I would chronologically post about my recent garden tour in England, but I woke up this morning thinking about this plant so here it is! I discovered this great beauty in the white garden at Sissinghurst. It is native to South Africa and its name refers to its fruit. Gomphos meaning club, karpos meaning fruits, physa meaning bladder, and again karpos, fruits. It is closely related to Asclepias and is a great butterfly plant. A great plant that is only just coming into its own in late October.

  

Its habit reminded me of Asclepias and Euphorbia. It stood tall and airy, with sturdy branching arms.



What fruits!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how nice to see some pics! I'm sitting here making new plant lists and voila... irresistable new treasures!
    xo L.

    ReplyDelete