Friday, April 1, 2011

The Four Long Vistas

When I first arrived one of the volunteers tested my knowledge of the garden by asking me where the four long vistas were in the garden. I don't think I impressed him with my answers, but I did learn something new! This post is a tribute to the Four Long Vistas of Hidcote.

The Central Axis


If I were to give a tour of the garden, I would start under this glorious Cedar of Lebanon. This is one of the only remaining plants that preceeds Lawrence Johnston and it is where I believe the garden was initially started. This central axis starts here in the Old Garden and passes through the Red Borders and ends at the gate in the Stilt Garden. In the distance you can see the glowing opening through the gate, framed on either side by two large Quercus ilex.



This is the view from the bottom of the Red Borders looking up to the Stilt Garden (the Cedar is behind this view).


From the gate in the Stilt Garden looking back at the Cedar.
The trees that make up the 'stilts' are Hornbeams.


The Long Walk


The Long walk runs perpendicular to the Central Axis and intersects at the top of the red Borders. I am standing in a pergola with the Stilt Garden and Red Borders at my back.



Half-way down the long walk looking out through the gate.


From the gate looking back up the Long Walk to the pergola.


Mrs. Winthrops to the Wilderness



This is perhaps the most surprising and exciting long vista. Standing in Mrs. Winthrop's garden, you can look down through the intricately layered plantings and see through to the Wilderness.



From the edge of the Wilderness looking back up to Mrs. Winthrops.


Mrs. Winthrops


The Beech Avenue



This view is pretty straight forward. I don't seem to have the picture that looks back in the other direction. I always liked the feeling of this 'avenue.'

This was not considered one of the main long vistas, but I think it deserves a mention. It's called Huntingdon Elm Avenue (though all the original elms were lost to the Dutch Elm disease). This area is not exactly part of the garden (it is outside the gates, near the car park), but this view was oriented from the entrance gates of the Manor courtyard. I didn't find it until the day before I left. Stumbling upon it at the end of a walk in the countryside was a happy surprise!


O did I mention that it has been snowing all day?
Below: Snow in Vermont on the trees in the early morning light.

1 comment:

  1. Wow me some more...do I get an award for catching your post when it was only one minute old? am I obsessed or what?

    sorry about the snow...we did not want it so we sent packing east.

    ReplyDelete