Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Happens Fast


When I was in England I would watch flowers come to bud and I would think, only a few days now, and it will flower. Oh no. In England, in March, the flowers are in no hurry. They have all the time in the world. I actually saw daffodil buds hang and wait for 3 weeks before they felt the urge to bloom. The flowers in Vermont do not seem to have this luxury. Plant are leaping out of the earth! Every single day I wander into my garden to see what is new, and almost every day there is a new blossom. It feels like we are catching up rather quickly to England!?

Above a vase full of Witch Hazel, Red Maple, and Pussy Willows.


These are some of my Fritillaria melagris already in bud! I saw them poke out of the ground on Saturday. I am shocked by how fast it is happening.


This is a real gem here! Mukdenia rossii 'Karasuba'
The flowers bloom before the leaves appear, but then the leaves themselves are gorgeous the rest of the summer, turning bright red in the fall. Does it look at all like one of those unidentified plants in the Acid Border at Hidcote?


Muscari latifolium


Pulmonaria


I planted 25 Eranthis hyemalis (Winter Aconite), but so far only two have showed their face!


Pulsitilla, not that far behind Hidcote?


Potentilla tridentata 'Nauk'
(wineleaf cinquefoil)

A FABULOUS ground cover. Its sweet white blooms cover the ground in early summer. The chartreuse colored plant in the back in Geum coccineum 'Eos.' Love all those colors together!

No comments:

Post a Comment