Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Eden Project


The Eden Project is a horticulture complex. There is emphasis on education of world plants and crops and there are outside plantings as well as two biodomes, one housing tropical plants and the other plants from the Mediterranean. I took hundreds of pictures of plants and recorded as many names as I could find. It was a very inspiring place to visit.



A really nice bulb display under the trees Plantanus x acerifolia.



A pitcher plant in the Tropical house.

Snowbush (Breynia nivosa 'Rosea Pictea')
in the Euphorbia family


This is a Drancunculus (aka Voodoo Lily) and it is a remarkable plant that just so happens to have a smell 'reminiscent of carcass.' It pretty much knocks your socks off.


Cola nitida


Lavendula multifida


Tulipa cretica


I could not find a tag for this. It reminds me of Acidanthera, but I could not find anything to verify this.

Phylica pubescens
This plant is as soft to the touch as it looks.


This is a plant that I fell in love with last year when I was in California. Here is is in full bloom.
Coleonema pulchrum


African Hemp (Sparrmannia africana)
Below is a close up


Scillia peruviana

Geranium maderense
This plant is in the plant house at Hidcote and has just come into bud.

Hippaestrum 'Lemon Lime'

Echium


Bloodroot! (Sanguinaria canadensis)
This is the one we grow back home! Made me think of spring in Vermont....

No comments:

Post a Comment