Monday, March 21, 2011

The garden of Sibylle Kreutzberger


I have seen great plants and gardens these past few days, starting with Sibylle Kreutzberger's garden. She and her friend Pamela Schwerdt were hired by Vita Sackville-West to be the head gardeners at Sissinghurst in 1959 and were there for 31 years. Sibylle invited me to dinner and a garden tour and it was truly amazing. She has an amazing collection of plants and a beautiful garden. I really felt like I was in the presence of greatness.

Above: View of the garden from her house.

Below: View of the arbor which supports roses and clematis. She has over 25 clematis vines in her garden.



A few of the new plants I saw.
Above: Olsynium Douglasii, a truly amazing bulb.

Syntheris missourica


In the center is the lovely bud of Fritillaria melagris (checkerboard fritillaria), surrounded by the pink Corydalis 'Beth Evans", and the white with blue striped petals of Puschkinia scilliodes.


This is one of the unknown plants that I saw at Powis castle and I found out what it was at Sibylle's. It is Hacquetia epipactis.


Corydalis cheilanthifolia


Narcissus 'Gipsy Queen' with the beautiful red Euphorbia sikkimensis.


Chionoscilla allenii

It was a truly inspiring visit and I was enamored with her house, garden, and incredible collection of small, dear, spring flowering plants.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Helen..every post, picture, and descriptions of your on going adventure are magical...I feel blessed every time I get to see and read about what paths you have walked down.

    ReplyDelete